Friday, December 10, 2010

Bird Brained

A myriad of birds have started visiting my feeder since winter has arrived.  I've been quite mesmerized by them truthfully.  I might be a beginner bird watcher in the making.  At least now I can tell you the difference between a Tufted Titmouse and a White Breasted Nuthatch.  Anyways, I've taken plenty of pictures of them and want to share them with you.  :)

Cardinals
Haha!  I have finally taken a decent pic of the elusive, camera-shy male cardinal!
 I actually have 2 mating pairs visiting my feeder now-a-days.
 It's kind of funny that the males can't seem to get the hang of the feeder.  They eat the fallen seed on the ground.

The female cardinals don't have a problem eating from the feeder.
 It's kind of cute.  The males seem to watch over the females when they are at the feeder.

Tufted Titmouse
This bird is a regular at the feeder. 
 They seem quite curious and watch me watching them.
 I think they are a beautiful bird.
 They seem so alert and active.
That is a black capped chickadee coming in for a landing.

White-breasted Nuthatch
This is a fast little bird.  I had to put my camera on anti-blur in order to get these 2 pics.
 I think he noticed me taking his pic.  lol.

Red-Bellied Woodpecker
This is the only pic I have of this one.
 I should be able to get a better pic sometime soon.  He likes that tree.

Blue Jay
The blue jay is only an occasional visitor.  
 Maybe I'll try putting out the peanuts again.  He seemed to like them last winter.

Dark-Eyed Junco
I keep wanting to call them Joco...after the singer/songwriter Jonathan Coulton.
 Take another look.  Did you notice the squirrel in the pic?

Multiple Birds
Black-Capped Chickadee and Tufted Titmouse

Black-Capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Sparrow?

I hope you enjoyed today's installment of Manda's Feeder Log.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I like watching the birds at our feeder. Do you have one with suet in it? That attracts alot of birds too. Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....I can't recall at the moment. We got the kind that was on sale at the farmer's exchange that the clerk recommended. :)
    I'll check tomorrow. My feeder needs refilled anyways. I had like 30 birds at one time at my feeder at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked today. There is no suet in my feed. It has a lot of other ingredients though. The brand I use is Liberty Wild Birdseed.

    ReplyDelete