Monday, July 19, 2010

Butterfly Bonanza!

Between getting my wisdom teeth removed, having the huge tree taken down, and our 2nd housewarming; this past week has been crazy!  I still need to sort through all the photos of the tree removal, so I'm not ready to post about that quite yet.  So instead, I'll post a bunch of pretty pictures of the butterflies.  I've managed to research their names too for you.  I also have some new flowers blooming.

Trumpet Lilies

Rose of Sharon and Easter Lilies

Lilies and Gladiolus

Some type of weed berry and my raspberries are actually blackberries!

At first I thought this little fellow was a very strange baby hummingbird, but it turns out that he is a Clearwing Hummingbird Moth.  He is about the size of a large bumblebee, but is as fast as a hummingbird.  You'll see him better if you click on the pictures.

Can you see his curly tongue, antennae, and his almost transparent wings?

I think he looks like some type of flying shrimp in the middle picture.
It was difficult to take pictures of him.  He wouldn't stay still, and my camera is blah.  I need to get a better digital camera.

Here are pictures of an actual hummingbird.  He was super zippy as well.
He was too fast, and my camera was too slow.

Now for the Butterfly Bonanza that was promised! :)

Common Wood Nymph
He was too shy to open his wings for you.

The Great Spangled Fritillary


Canadian Tiger Swallowtail



Female Tiger Swallowtail

Spicebush Swallowtail?

I photo-shopped this last pic to use as my desktop background.
I just now noticed there is a bee on the same flower as my butterfly.  ^_^

Monarch Butterfly
I discovered the difference between the Monarch and Viceroy, so now I can say with certainty that these are indeed Monarchs.

I was also lucky to get some shots with multiple butterflies in them.

These 2 Tiger Swallowtails look like they are synchronized fluttering.

Tiger Swallowtails and a Common Wood Nymph

A Monarch Butterfly with 2 Tiger Swallowtails

Well, I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I do.  I'll keep working through the tree take-down pics.  My mother-in-law has some pics on her camera that I need to get from her, so it still might be a little while.
I hope everyone is staying cool in this heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment