Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Great Ladybug Massacre of March 2010

Ugh!  These darn ladybugs seem to be everywhere!  I swear I seem to be killing the same ladybug over and over again.  At first, I would only see them one at a time, but now they've multiplied.  The most I've killed at one time has been 17.  The were all concentrated around one particular window in the upstairs bonus room.  I guess I should do some research on ladybugs online to see how best to get rid of them.  Does anyone know if I should be worried about ladybugs damaging something, like fabric for instance?
Since I'm on the topic of bugs anyway,  I'll give an update on our basement spider traps.  At first, Jim didn't catch anything in the traps.  Nothing seemed interested...until Jim caught a bug and threw it in the gooey thing.  This must have attracted the spiders because there were quite a few in the trap after that.  Nothing was as big as the original spiders Jim sucked up with the shop vac...Thank goodness!  I'd like to believe that Jim sucked up all the giant ones the first time...wishful thinking I'm sure.  Jim was wondering if after a few years, spider/cob webs turn black.  He told me that when he was cleaning up the cellar, he sucked up quite a few black looking spiderwebs that were in hard to reach places.  Maybe they were decades old spiderwebs. *shudder*
Ok, enough about bugs, or you guys might never want to come visit us!
In other news:
The flooring we had ordered came in early--they told us it would take 12 days, but it only took 5--so we are stoked about that.  Jim is pretty confident that we'll be able to install it ourselves since it is a floating floor.  We made sure to watch the appropriate "How To" videos at lowe's.com, so we are ready to go! lol.  The baseboards have all been cut and painted.  I'll be finishing up priming and painting the closet and doorway trim today.  Once the weather is warm enough, I can paint the windows.  We took the craft room door off its hinges yesterday so that we can test the extra door we found in the garage.  It was a perfect fit.  The hinges lined up perfectly and everything!  The previous owners must have intended this door to go there, but for some reason or another never got around to it.  It doesn't have a doorknob, so we'll have to buy one for it.  The current doorknob on the old door is in poor shape, so we don't want to just switch it out to the new door.  I want to get a silver/chrome colored knob for it.  Unfortunately, all the other door knobs in the house (except for the few remaining originals) are gold/brass colored.  I very much prefer silver, so we may eventually be replacing the other knobs as we work on each room.
I keep watching the squirrels out my kitchen window.  They are going to be quite sad little squirrels come warmer weather and we take down the 2 little trees that they use as there main means to get from the front to back yards.  They use one to climb up on our roof, and the other to climb back down.  The 2 trees are too close to our foundation, and one is especially too close to our well.  Why the previous homeowners allowed these trees to grow there is beyond me.  I think we can handle taking the 2 little trees down ourselves, but we'll have to call a professional to give us an estimate on taking a GIANT tree down that is too near the house.  It's a shame to take it down since this tree looks as old as the house, but we need to take it down for a few reasons:
1.  This tree makes it difficult to back out of the garage if you are parked on the left side.
2.  It is too near our septic lines
3.  (the major reason)  It is way too big and too near our house.  If it was to fall, no matter which way it went, it would either completely take out our house, our garage, or our neighbors house...none of those are good options.
We're waiting for leaves to grow on it so we can more easily identify the species of tree.  Maybe if it is a furniture wood tree, some furniture maker will take it down for free.  lol, more wishful thinking.
Well, that should be enough for now, I have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment